© Tennengau Timberworks 2011-18
Cochrane, AB, Canada Phone: 403-681-8994
Log Cabin Re-Roofing
On this project we did a complete re-roof on an older cedar log cabin.
The roof, which had been redone with pine shakes less than 20 years ago, was leaking badly. With the old asphalt shingles still underneath, the construction was such that the roof could never properly dry out and the low slope of the roof made things worse.
We stripped the roof down to the tongue and groove cedar board decking and then started from scratch installing the following layers:
- Pro-clima Intesana high performance vapour retarder membrane
- Rough-cut 2x6 strap construction doubling up the roof in order to provide space for R22 insulation batts.
- installed R22 Roxul insulation batts
- 1x6 solid wood decking
- vapour permeable membrane
- strapping with battens and counter battens to provide for proper airflow
- Metro stone-coated metal roof tiles (50 year warranty)
We also improved the structural integrity of the covered porch taking out the temporary steel props that supported the roof, replacing them with a structural timber frame, custom manufactured by us from sustainably harvested cedar timbers.